Monday, July 9, 2018

Fish hat fish hat, roly poly fish hat!

This post is a request by my sister.

During the winter Sir Tanaka was posting photos of the many hats he has, some of them extremely silly, while he was doing his pell drills. I remember seeing a dead fish hat on knitty.com, so I decided he needed one. I mwahahaha'ed at him and started knitting it. I saw him at K&Q Bardic/A&S. I had just started knitting the first 10 or so rows, so I snagged him as he walked past, just to make sure it was going to fit on his head. His kid was in tow, and when I showed them the photos from the pattern, ze turned to their father and said "I'm so going to steal that from you.". I said "... I can knit another one for you as well." I finished them by Mudthaw and SCA expressed them (I didn't go to the event this year). Tanaka posted a photo of him wearing it on facebook and I commented that after knitting those two, my son also asked for one, so I had knitted one for him as well. "I can do it in my sleep now!" Ryan commented something along the lines of "Oh, reallllllly?" 

Master Ernst commented with a photo of him wearing a red and yellow version with "live" eyes, instead of the "dead" eyes. dots vs. Xs is the only difference. He called it a carp of maintenance. I decided that I had to make a proper Pelican one for Ryan, I knew he would appreciate the humor of it. I had red yarn already, and I found in A.C. Moore they had a white yarn that had flecks of dark and light brown and orange/red in it. So I used that as the lips and fins and pulled the orange/red and lighter brown bits out and it looked perfectly like ermine. Once I finished it I found I had Ryan's mailing address already so I secretly mailed it off to him. When it was delivered Ryan fb messaged me a bunch of purple hearts. I must admit I squealed a little bit that he liked it. I think it was just before coronation that he got it. He posted the photo of it to facebook and I think he said he did wear it in court when the Order of the Pelican was called up. There's also a EK Photo booth photo of him wearing it.

I also realized this is the second hat I've made for Ryan. A handful of years ago I made him a Jayne hat in East Kingdom Purples. So I guess I need to continue knitting hats for him!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

My friends keep the best secrets. After presenting some very silly scrolls in morning court Their Majesties said “Oh, Violet. Hang on a seco...