Sunday, July 8, 2018

I'm speechless!

The latest project I've pretty much completed is a handout for silent heraldry. It's a thing that's getting going in the society/kingdom again.

So here's why I love silent heralding. One, I've heard people complaining that the people of the society are getting older. And with age comes hearing loss. Two: people tend to have side conversations when they're sitting in the back. Or the side. Or wherever. And they don't realize their voices are getting louder until people nearby them can't hear what's going on and have to shush them. Three: Some places where court is held just sucks acoustically. So if you know some basic signs you can always tell what's going on.

Oda Lally is fluent in ASL. She's done the SH at Balfar's (Where she was also called in to receive her AoA. Very funny to watch her face!) and also at the An Dub/Ostgardr challenge. There's a number of websites that describe the signs, and at least one youtube channel that I know of that shows the signs. But there wasn't anything really that I knew of that could be a cheat sheet people could look at in court. So the two of us decided on what signs were most useful to know in baronial court. I took photos of her doing the signs and photoshopped in arrows. I edited them all down to two pages. I tried them in alphabetical order and grouped by topic. We decided the alphabetical order looked better.

I'll print out a few to test out for baronial court during Pennsic, and then after that our next event is in September for Arrows Axes and Ales. Hopefully I'll get some good feedback on them and see if they need any tweaking and/or are worth continuing. If they are well received I'll find out who to talk to and see if we should do a kingdom court version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

My friends keep the best secrets. After presenting some very silly scrolls in morning court Their Majesties said “Oh, Violet. Hang on a seco...