Sunday, September 29, 2019

Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach...

There are many people in my family who are or were teachers. There's even more of my friends who are teachers. There is good reason why I'm not a teacher. My thought process is "I can take 2 hours to teach a person how to do a thing, or I can do it myself in 30 minutes." It's frustrating for myself when I know that part of the SCA and the Peer track is teaching others.

I've wrangled feast serving for a handful of events. For St. Andrews, Lily volunteered to be in charge of feast servers and asked me to teach her how to do it. There's so many little things that I just *do* and don't think about that it's difficult for me to lay out step by step what to do. And I wanted to bug her about "Have you nailed down volunteers yet? Have you done this yet? Have you done that yet?", but I didn't want to be a micromanager. Luckily she's intelligent and has common sense and is very receptive of my suggestions. So either I'd be on top of her so much that she'd get resentful, or I back off and toss her emails as I think of things and hope for the best. I went with the latter, confident that she'd be on top of things. Of course I had volunteered to be one of the servers so if things did go pear-shaped I could step in and help get it sorted out.

Unfortunately things never go to plan. All the hiccups that happened at feast were not the fault of the servers, and there was nothing we could do to prevent it or fix it. But Lily was watching, trying to keep our end of things going smoothly, I was hovering nearby her see if there was anything I could do to help. The other servers were people from her household and I know the specific ones that were helping were good ones. I told her at the end of the night that usually feast isn't quite so frantic, and it's much more relaxed. But she did a good job and now she knows how to do it. So there's 2 people in the barony that feastocrats can go to for heading up serving.

3 comments:

  1. The feast slip ups I saw were not related to the service, which was excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for teaching me! I would have been frantic without you. Knowing that I could count on you and ask questions made all the difference. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our server (table 10) was very helpful, kept our water/lemonade pitchers full, and was incredibly cheerful throughout.

    ReplyDelete

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

My friends keep the best secrets. After presenting some very silly scrolls in morning court Their Majesties said “Oh, Violet. Hang on a seco...